Peanut Butter Blossoms

I 've said it before... I love to bake.  I especially love to bake cookies.  In fact, one of my favorite things about Christmas isn't the presents, it's the excuse to bake a ridiculous amount of cookies :)

Last week, there was a need for baked goodies for a special project.  I was sure that someone would already be making chocolate chip cookies so I opted for an old favorite... peanut butter blossoms.  They taste amazing and look pretty good too :)  I can't give anyone credit for the recipe because it's a random one that's been in my collection for years.  Many cookies I've made are crisp once baked but these cookies stay soft and moist.  The dough is really easy to work with and they come out perfect every time.  The recipe is at the end of this post for any cookie lovers who are interested.







I'll admit, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things I create.  But with cookies, this quality helps with appearance and consistency.  I use a measuring tablespoon and make sure that each cookie is the same size with the exact same amount of dough.  When the dough balls are all the exact same size, then they bake at the same rate and all look the same when they're done.


The dough doesn't have to be rolled in sugar but I love the added sparkle and sweet crunch.  This time I used washed raw sugar which has the taste and color of brown sugar but the dry consistency of white granulated sugar.



As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, press a chocolate kiss into the middle of each one.



Once the cookies were cool and the chocolate kisses hardened, I packaged them up for our special project.  The pilots' wives get together for many things and on this day we put together treat bags for all of the men and women in our squadron who are here in Korea without their families or spouses.  It's a little gesture to let them know that they are appreciated and not alone :)


Once the treat bags were filled to the top with goodies, we snuck around the dorms and quietly left a bag and a little sign on their door :)



Peanut Butter Blossoms

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 packages of Hershey Kisses
  • extra sugar for rolling (optional)

Directions:

  • Cream together the sugars and butter
  • Blend in eggs and wet ingredients
  • Combine the dry ingredients and blend into the wet mixture
  • Roll 1 tbsp of dough into a ball and then roll in the extra sugar
  • Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes, until light golden brown on the bottom
  • Press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie as soon as they come out of the oven
  • Move to a cooling rack and cool completely


*******
"This is my invariable advice to people:
Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from
your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!"
~Julia Child

No comments:

Post a Comment